3

I Am the Only Being 

By Emily Bronte

 

Emily Bronte

 

 








Emily Bronte was an English Poetess,She was born in  30 Joly ,1816 in North England. Her mother died when she was only three years old.She joined the school in age of seventeen.In her childhood when she joined school epidemic spread and her two sisters died.Then her remaining three sisters and brother were remained in a room where they all read and wrote fiction and poetry.In 1844 Emily  and her sisters published their poems.
The poems were published in one volume"Poems by Currer,Ellis and Acton Bell." She opened her own school.But it could not run so properly.Emily was naturally shy and unsocial.Her sister charlott was a primary source of information for her. She made some choosen friends.
Her famous Novel "Wuthring heights " published after her death. She died in september 1648 by tubercolusis. She became too weak that her cofin was only 16 inches wide. 

Poem(I am the only being)

I am the only being whose doom 
No tongue would ask no eye would mourn
 I never caused a thought of gloom 
A smile of joy since I was born
 In secret pleasure - secret tears
 This changeful life has slipped away 
As friendless after eighteen years
 As lone as on my natal day 
 There have been times I cannot hide
 There have been times when this was drear
 When my sad soul forgot its pride 
And longed for one to love me here
 But those were in the early glow 
Of feelings since subdued by care 
And they have died so long ago
 I hardly now believe they were
 First melted off the hope of youth 
Then Fancy's rainbow fast withdrew 
And then experience told me truth
 In mortal bosoms never grew 
 'Twas grief enough to think mankind 
All hollow servile insincere
 But worse to trust to my own mind 
And find the same corruption there 

Explaination( "I am the Only Being")

 "I am the Only Being" by Emily Bronte is a statement of her own personal experience of life. She spent most of her life with her sisters. The sisters had little social life Emily did not express her feelings. Her sisters too, did not treat her kindly. 
"I Am the Only Being" is an expression of grief and loneliness. She thinks that she is the only being in the world whose life does not mean anything to anybody. During eighteen years of her life she has met neither love nor friendship. Her entire life has been dull and lonely. 
At times she could not bear the burden of this gloomy life and longed for love, but never found it. Her experience has taught her that human beings are mean, selfish and insincere. They do not care for truth, love and affection. They have no use for finer values of life. The level to which mankind has sunk grieves her. 
Then she looks into her own heart and is shocked to realize that she, too, is hollow and selfish. She was grief enough ,to think mankind All hollow, servile,insincere.
In this poem the poetess writes about her own experiences of life in a sad mood. She presents a gloomy picture of humanity ’. The poetess says that she was filled with great sorrow to find the people selfish, mean and faithless. But it was a great shock to her to know that she herself had all these defects and so she could not trust her own mind. She means to say that we can have joy and happiness only when were move all selfish and evil thoughts from our minds. 

Post a Comment

  1. "She was born in 30 Joly ,1816 in North England"
    "She died in september 1648 by tubercolusis"
    How did she die 168 years BEFORE she was born??

    ReplyDelete
  2. It takes me back to my secondary school's life when it was very hard for me to understand it's verses...
    Qamar Waheed Raja

    ReplyDelete
  3. It takes me back to my secondary school's life when it was very hard for me to understand it's verses...
    Qamar Waheed Raja

    ReplyDelete

 
Top